The use of the milk in which the fish has been poached, in place of stock, is one of the elements that makes this a memorable risotto.
Serves 4 | Preparation time: 30mins | Cooking time: 20mins
- 450ml milk 400g Ahia® Smoked Gemfish
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 black peppercorns
- 450ml chicken or fish stock
- 50g unsalted butter
- 50ml olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled, finely chopped
- 250g risotto (Arborio) rice
- 200ml dry white wine
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pour the milk into a saucepan and add the Ahia® Smoked Gemfish, bay leaf and peppercorns. Bring to a simmer and cook for 8 minutes, until the fish is tender. Remove from the heat and leave the fish to cool in the milk.
- Bring the chicken or fish stock to a simmer in a saucepan.
- In a heavy-bottomed pot heat the butter and oil together. Add the onion and fry gently until soft and translucent, without colouring. Tip in the rice and stir it through the butter and oil until shiny. Over a low heat, cook the rice until fragrant, stirring continuously. Pour in the wine and let it almost evaporate, then pour in all of the hot stock. Strain the milk and remove the bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Pour the milk into the pot, give the rice a good stir and cover the pot with a lid. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat. Cook for 15 minutes, until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Stir the peas into the rice, break the Ahia® Smoked Gemfish into large chunky flakes and add to the rice. Season to taste and serve garnished with extra pea tendrils, parsley and lemon wedges.