Serves 6 | Preparation time: 25mins | Cooking time: 25mins
- 400g store bought flaky puff pastry (3–4 sheets)
- For the filling:
- 400g Ahia® Smoked Hoki
- 250ml milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 black peppercorns
- 150g spinach leaves, washed
- 3 spring onions, finely sliced
- 3 free range eggs
- 250ml cream
- 125g crème fraîche
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- You will need a 22cm shallow tart tin with a removable base.
- Place the Ahia® Smoked Hoki in a shallow saucepan with the milk, bay leaves and peppercorns. Add water if there isn’t enough milk to cover the fish.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes before turning the heat off and covering the pan with a tight-fitting lid or a piece of tinfoil.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C and place a flat baking sheet in the oven. Line the tart tin with pastry, then a layer of baking paper and fill with rice, baking beans or baking weights, and bake for 20 minutes. Lift out the baking paper and return the pastry to the oven for a further 20 minutes.
- Wash the spinach thoroughly then place in a saucepan, cover with a lid and place over a low heat for 2-3 minutes, until the leaves have wilted. Drain through a sieve, squeeze any excess water out using your hands and then roughly chop. Set to one side.
- Drain the Ahia® Smoked Hoki, breaking into large chunks. Place the fish in the pastry case, add the spinach and spring onions. Lightly beat the eggs into a mixing bowl then beat in the cream and crème fraîche. Season and pour into the pastry case.
- Bake for 25 minutes until the filling is lightly set. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for 20 minutes before serving.